It has finally slowed down here on the farm and I hate to say it but Jim and John are already talking Spring? Meanwhile our Jésus in the Office has been getting out and trying new moves on the Snowboard! Unsuccessfully I might add! He tried a ‘Big Move’ and came down in a pile! Broke his collar bone and has been in a arm sling ever since. You should see him keep up in the office with one arm. Hahahah I think he is going to have one arm like Popeye! Good luck Jésus!
Monthly Archive for February, 2009
This recipe makes 72 biscotti
2 cups King Orchards dried tart cherries
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
3 large eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
powdered sugar, for rolling
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the cherries and orange juice in a small bowl and add just enough hot water to cover. Set aside for 15 minutes or more.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Drain the cherries and discard the liquid. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add them to the flour mixture along with the drained cherries and pecans and stir until a stiff dough forms.
5. Scrape the dough onto a lightly sugared work surface and divide it into 4 pieces. Roll each piece with the palms of your hands into a log slightly shorter than the length of your cookie sheet.
6. Place two logs on each cookie sheet, several inches apart (the logs will double in width). Bake for 15 minutes, until the logs feel set or firm to the touch. Set the cookie sheets on racks and let cool. Reset the oven to 300°F.
7. When cool to the touch, place the logs on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, slice them into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
8. Lay the biscotti out on the prepared cookie sheets in a single layer and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until they are dry and lightly toasted. Cool completely.
9. Store in an airtight tin or plastic container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Serving Size: 3 biscotti
Number of Servings: 72
Calories 139 Carbohydrate 24 g
Fat 3 g Fiber 1 g
Protein 2 g Saturated Fat 0 g
Sodium 65 mg