Makes 6 servings of Hungarian Sour Cherry Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
-6 cups of water
-1 pound of fresh sour cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of confectioner’s sugar
1. In a large saucepan, cook cherries with water and 3/4 cup of sugar until done, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix sour cream with flour, salt and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
3. When cherries are done, temper the sour cream mixture with a few ladles of hot cherry liquid, whisking until smooth. Transfer to the pan with the cherries and whisk until smooth. Simmer 5 minutes, but do not boil.
4. Cool to room temperature in an ice water bath. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the soup (so a skin doesn’t form) and refrigerate until cold. Serve cold as a first course as they do in Hungary or as a dessert with a dollop of sour cream or whipped cream.